Friday 26 August 2011

Day Twenty; Hanoi to Lac Sao (Laos)

Today was a loooong drive from Hanoi up though north Vietnam and then across into Laos.The views along the way were really nice; the still water that sits on top of the velvet green rice fields below the mountains reflects them back like a mirror; land reflected in land (driver was a maniac though so pinched a google image to remember that part!)

Google image 'noth vietnam scenery' also to get an idea of what we drove through; really wish we had time to stop and trek for a few days there...next time...:)

The fog at the top of the mountain where the border is was ridiculous; unable to see more than 10 meters in front plus freezing we marched our cases across. As one guard inspected my passport the wind blew the water off the top of his umbrella all over my head. Busy spluttering at the icy shock I snatched my passport back with closed eyed confusion and then wheeled my case straight over the top of his very shiny black shoes. I did say sorry but I think I knew the gist of what he was saying without translation and sort of ran for my life a bit down the hill after the others.

We stopped in Lac Sao which is a very small town that doesn't really boast much but a place to rest after an exhausting journey. Tried the first of many baskets of sticky rice for dinner; nice enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment